Friday, February 22, 2013

ALOL: An introduction and informal mission

I can remember the first time I set eyes on the Internet...

My father was in the "Smart Room," which is what my family called the study, and he excitedly called me in to see something new.  He was hunched over our IBM PS/1, the first computer in our home, and he was checking the weather.  As I stood staring at the animated weather map on the screen my father told me the weather was being sent to our computer from another one miles away.  I was only 6 years old, so the weather wasn't the most exciting topic, but the fact that it was another person's machine talking to our lowly PC.  THAT was interesting!

By the time I was in Middle School, I was already playing a lot of video games (some online), surfing AOL Instant Messenger, and generally spending a large amount of time in front of a screen.  It wasn't long after that I started playing EverQuest, a forerunner to the online game "World of Warcraft."  The "large amount of time" I spent online before doubled easily.  At this time in my life I was just beginning to struggle with ADHD.  I am distractable by nature.   I was just looking for some fun, but what I didn't know is that I was setting myself for a lifetime of distraction online.

Flash forward to 2 years ago, I was attending school at Naropa University in Boulder, CO.  Naropa is a Buddhist-inspired university, designed to bring a contemplative/mindful approach to our academic and personal lives.  I began practicing mindfulness meditation to bring a calm sense of being in my mind.  My mind quickly began to notice just how much time I spend staring at a glowing screen, and I saw myself becoming anxious for any notification from my phone.  Any blinking light, any ringing chime felt like my mobile device was tugging at a string tied around me.

Some important questions arose for me...

  • Why am I so attracted to computer/mobile screens?
  • Why is my phone so endlessly distracting?
  • Is there ANYTHING I can do to help myself feel less distracted?
  • How do I cut down on time using technology?
  • Is there anyone out there feeling the same was as I do about using personal tech?
These questions stayed with me until my final semester at Naropa, where I wrote my bachelor's thesis on how the Internet and connected gadgets have the potential to be very distracting in our lives.  I argue in the piece that we have been unconsciously trained to crave the distraction of our personal technology.  We have an enormous population of people who use technology near constantly, high schoolers send/recieve an average of 2272 texts per month (I have heard of students going as high as 10,000), and video games have only begun to show their potential in the entertainment industry.

While there are many concerns for the technology, there are also many boons.  It has been shown that playing games can foster positive emotions, and even provide social, physical, and emotional support to the player (see Jane McGonigal's 'Reality is Broken').

I saw quickly that there is a distinction we need to make when using tech: Distraction vs. Enhancement.  We buy our phone to be connected to one another, to help keep track of our lives, and a general platform for any tool we may need.  The thing we often use them for the most, however, is to distract.  It is important to know when the tech is enriching your life, and when it is just a session of Angry Birds...

My mission for this blog is to explore the world of the Internet, Technology, Games, and everything in between.  The way I wish to set this blog apart from others is by not only engaging in discussion about these issues, but to offer strategies and practices you can use to wrangle your distractable mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment